Saturday, May 8, 2010

Reality Check

We met with a financial planner yesterday. We had worked our way through a tortuous worksheet. We had to input the usual stuff: assets, liabilities, income, and expenses. He came armed with a computer program that linked all of our many "drawers" of financial data. Near the end, he pointed at a number and said so this is what you spend each year on food, entertainment, your household, and just day-to-day stuff. I wasn't surprised by the number. I probably should have been. It was a big number and it didn't include any mortgage information or cars.

Today I was thinking about that number and telling myself that I need to work on spending less money. I'm sure there are a lot of ways that we can cut our expenses and lower "that number." Even though we save about 19% of what we earn does that really mean that we should be blowing that much money every year?

What was I doing while having this frugal thought? Sitting in the drive-thru at St*rbucks waiting to order a $5.00 cup of coffee!

More soul searching required...:)

1 comment:

  1. mmm..coffee... lol
    Good luck! I try and try to come up with the master plan/budget, and something always throws it off track!
    ICLW: 156

    ReplyDelete